Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Most Beautiful Ride Redux

Steve and I hooked up for a "Major Pain" ride today, but it was stellar and worth all of the post-ride dehydration and leg cramps. The difficulty was partially a result of route selection, but mostly due to our sedentary habits of late. I've been sitting on planes and in conference rooms over the past few weeks, and Steve has been working 2 months straight getting all his client's tax returns filed on time. So of course these two desk jockeys are going to ease back into things, right?

Wrong.

After 91 sweaty miles, 8,500 grueling feet and two VERY tasty slices of pizza at the Bovine Bakery, we rolled back into Mill Valley exhausted and exhilarated all at the same time. We rode the same loop I did last September, but it was a lot warmer and definitely a tougher ride because of it. Steve finished in fine style, although I feel compelled to point out on the world wide web that he did get "chicked" climbing out of Stinson Beach. I think she even mocked him while passing by. (OK, allright, in Steve's defense, I think she was a Webcor team rider, plus he was 82 miles into the ride and feeling not so fresh). I was also dropped like a stone by her riding partner. I hate it when you are suffering, sweat pouring into your eyes, and some guy spins past you smiling (NOT sweating, by the way) and comments on how friggin' beautiful the weather is. I especially hate it because usually I am that annoying guy. Today I was definitely not.


PS: Give the pizza a try at Bovine. Maybe it was the caloric deficit, but it delivered. As I scarfed it down outside, the guy next to me was clearly impressed. "That's a varsity order dude".

No comments: