Saturday, July 4, 2009

Increasing my carbon footprint again

There hasn't been much riding lately as I've had to go back to Hong Kong for the second time in three months. It's a long flight, and HK is not a place you really want to bring your bike to. Of course the last time I was there I saw a few guys riding around the island cheating death on the windy cliffside road to Stanley. A big rock wall on one side, a 300' cliff on the other, with a double decker bus bearing down on you. I think I would just take up swimming.

Believe it or not, I saw a few cyclists nativating this road. Not for the timid.


So by the time I got back home from the 14 hour flight, I was all geared up for the July 4th long weekend at Stinson Beach. My usual M.O. is to ride out to the beach and let the family catch me somewhere on the road. With the Death Ride coming up in less than two weeks, I figured I needed some extra miles and climbing so I set out early. Over the hill and through the hamlets into Fairfax, then a good tempo climb up Bolinas road and down to Alpine Dam.



BoFax from the dam to the 7 Sisters is always the best -- just an all time killer ride. Especially early in the morning when no one's around except the deer and the big birds of prey soaring overhead on the breeze. Today was no exception. The summer fog was sitting thick down low; doing its usual thing to shroud the views, but also keeping everything nice and cool.


The descent to Stinson from Pantoll is in incredible shape given the recent repaving. The road is smooth, fast and perfectly curvy. Not many cars out at this hour so you can let 'em run. But the descent into the fog was frigid, necessitating a quick coffee stop at Ed's Superette (yes, I will always call it that. "Stinson Beach Market" just doesn't do it for me). While seated at the bench outside Ed's, I saw the most incredible thing -- Four dudes rocking identical Capo Madone matching kits (probably all riding matching Trek Madones as well). This was not, mind you, four guys on the same team wearing their team kit. Just four dudes who walked into Mike's Bikes and plunked down $300 each on the same getup. Rad.

Blurry photo, but there are four dudes rocking matching Capo Modena kits rolling out of Stinson.

Flush with excitement after having seen a flock of the rare grupetto modena, I quickly pedaled my way north to Bolinas and started the climb back up to the 7 Sisters to ride them a second time. In fact, I felt so damn good that I just kept pedaling all the way to the top of Mt. Tam to take in the views.

No comments: