Saturday, August 8, 2009

Good commuting, but now its Tahoe time...

Man do I need a vacation. Thankfully, mine started yesterday promptly at 5pm when I boarded the ferry and ordered myself a jack daniels for the boat ride home. The day started great too, with a perfect 6:30am bike commute over the bridge. The morning was warm, fog-free and the full moon was still cranking.


Rudy rides the Golden Gate Bridge on the worlds best commute



I drove up to Tahoe late last night with the family to start our week-long break. Despite only getting 6 hours of sleep, I was already jonesing this morning for a bike ride and was not deterred by the 36F reading on the thermometer outside at 5:45am. I wasn't meeting Trevor and Grant until 7:30, so I had a little extra time to warm up the legs. I rode down the West Shore and up to the top of Barker Pass (7,700'). Then back to Sunnyside to meet them, then back up to Barker Pass (2d lap), then up to the backside of Alpine Meadows where I bade my companions farewell and rode back home to Squaw Valley to play tennis with the wife and kids. Almost 70 miles and about 4,000' of moderate climbing. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, but no camera today.


Sunrise and migrating birds over Lake Tahoe




Trevor on the Barker Pass climb




Today's route (with 2x on Barker Pass)

No comments: