Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Pros are in Town

Great commute rides yesterday. I had a bunch of early work calls from home so I didn't hit the road until around 9am. The streets were pretty empty and the air was very warm for February. As I got to the bottom of my hill, a guy on a very nice looking BMC Pro Machine whizzed by. He was sporting team issue Assos BMC bibs and jacket, so I figured it was probably one of the pros out for a light training ride in advance of the Amgen Tour. Unfortunately I was on my commuter bike and not my shiny BMC. Still, I caught up to him and it looked like it was Ian McKissick, who is not a local guy but does do some training and events with Endurance PTC in Mill Valley. It's always cool to see the pros out there (yes, they do ride the same roads we do), and after we rode our separate ways I ended up pushing a bit harder than normal over the bridge and to the office. I'm guessing that as we get closer to the ToC, more and more pros will be out on local rides -- but probably mostly up in Sonoma and down south.

The afternoon ride home was more of the same great weather. I met Tom at the normal group spot along the Embarcadero and we ended up having five strong riders all the way into Mill Valley. I peeled off towards Tiburon, and the other four headed up over Camino Alto towards the Larkspur Ferry. One of the guys, Ken, was riding a fixie back home to Olema on his regular commute (burly!).

Trackhead posted a video of Matt Dixon's group ride last weekend at an "undisclosed local spot" (you'll know it if you watch). Be sure to watch the HD version. Some of the helicopter mounted shots are fantastic.

No comments: